Improvements to scheduling and pharmacy care will support co-administration of flu vaccine and new reformulated COVID-19 boosters at more than 1,700 pharmacy locations
BOISE, Idaho–(BUSINESS WIRE)–
Albertsons Companies today announced investments in technology, vaccine inventory and patient services to increase immunization access and personalized care at more than 1,700 pharmacy locations. Pharmacy teams across Albertsons, Safeway, Vons, Jewel-Osco, Shaw’s, Acme, Tom Thumb, Randalls, United Supermarkets, Pavilions, Star Market, Haggen, Carrs and more, are now administering flu vaccines, as well as the FDA and CDC authorized Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna bivalent COVID-19 boosters.
“Our pharmacy teams are partners in community health, and preparations for this year’s cold and flu season underscore an unwavering commitment to our customers’ well-being,” said Omer Gajial, Chief Digital Officer and EVP of Health at Albertsons Cos. “We have administered nearly 14 million COVID-19 vaccines to patients across the country, and we are enhancing the experience this year with specialized scheduling tools and pharmacy care. We know vaccines are one of the best ways to keep families healthy this winter, and these enhancements are designed to make it easy for everyone to receive the right vaccinations in a single appointment.”
Pharmacy enhancements and incentives include:
One-Stop for Vaccinations:
- Flu season: The Quadrivalent flu vaccine, Flublok and Fluzone HD are available. The flu shot is free with most insurance providers.
- COVID-19 bivalent vaccines: The reformulated boosters from Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech target both the original virus and omicron variants BA.4 and BA.5. The vaccines, along with antigen tests, are available at no cost based on eligibility.
- COVID-19 therapeutic: Select pharmacies are administering Evusheld, a long-acting monoclonal antibody combination authorized for the prevention and treatment of COVID-19 for certain high-risk individuals. Providers can check the HHS COVID-19 Therapeutics Locator to locate an Albertsons pharmacy carrying Evusheld. Evusheld is provided by the federal government at no cost. Some insurance plans will cover the administration fee, including Medicare Part B.
- Other key immunizations: Pharmacists can co-administer additional vaccines at each appointment includingshingles, pneumonia, tetanus, and HPV.
Scheduling Multiple Vaccinations:
- Appointments: Customers can now book appointments for up to five immunizations together using the company’s online scheduler, available on the grocer’s app or website. The scheduler is also able to sort and recommend vaccines that are relevant by age.
- Scheduler: Appointments can be scheduled on the grocer’s app or website:Pharmacy Scheduler (albertsons.com).
Access to Care 7 Days a Week:
- Walk-ins welcome: Most Albertsons Cos.’ pharmacies offer convenient evening and weekend hours and will be staffed to accommodate short wait times and “walk-in” appointments.
- Free consultations: Pharmacists are available to discuss clinical-related questions to assist customers in making informed healthcare decisions and will offer consultations on vaccination history and recommend co-administrations to bring key immunizations up to date.
- Drive-up clinics: Vaccines may be administered from the comfort and convenience of patient’s cars at participating pharmacy locations.
Mobile Vaccine Clinics:
- Remote services: Local Albertsons Cos. pharmacists are available to set up and staff vaccine clinics at schools, nursing homes, companies and other organizations to help ensure students, residents and employees have access to these immunizations.
- Savings incentive: For every immunization received at an Albertsons Cos.’ pharmacy, recipients will receive a coupon eligible for 10 percent off their next grocery purchase up to $200, and access to a free digital vaccine record.
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) currently recommends COVID-19 vaccines be given during the same visit with other vaccines, including the flu vaccine, for those eligible. Flu vaccinations are available to children as young as 6 months of age, where allowed by state law. Currently, the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine and booster can be administered to patients as young as 12 years old, while the Moderna COVID-19 doses are available for patients 18 and older. An adult must sign a consent and release form for minor patients receiving vaccinations.
Find more information, visit albertsons.com/pharmacy.
About Albertsons Companies
Albertsons Companies is a leading food and drug retailer in the United States. As of June 18, 2022, the Company operated 2,273 retail food and drug stores with 1,720 pharmacies, 402 associated fuel centers, 22 dedicated distribution centers and 19 manufacturing facilities. The Company operates stores across 34 states and the District of Columbia with 24 banners including Albertsons, Safeway, Vons, Jewel-Osco, Shaw’s, Acme, Tom Thumb, Randalls, United Supermarkets, Pavilions, Star Market, Haggen, Carrs, Kings Food Markets and Balducci’s Food Lovers Market. The Company is committed to helping people across the country live better lives by making a meaningful difference, neighborhood by neighborhood. In 2021, along with the Albertsons Companies Foundation, the Company contributed nearly $200 million in food and financial support, including approximately $40 million through our Nourishing Neighbors Program to ensure those living in our communities have enough to eat.
Source: Albertsons Companies, Inc.